Climbing Gym Rules and Safety Policies
- All members must scan theirs cards at the front desk before using the facility.
- First time belayers to the Core must have a gym orientation and be belay checked by Core staff.
- Instruction of belay techniques is only permitted by Whistler Core staff.
- Harness and climbing equipment must be CE and/ or UIAA approved and unmodified. All equipment must be assembled and used as specified by the manufacturer. Staff reserve the right to reject any climbing equipment they deem to be unsafe.
- Anyone on the raised blue protective flooring must fill out a liability waiver form and go through an orientation of the climbing facility.
- Spectators/ pedestrians must keep out of the way of all climbers, and make themselves aware of where climbers are above them.
- Use of the autobelays is recommended with a buddy-check system and an orientation from a staff person. Please discuss the proper use of this device with a staff person prior to using it.
- Headsets are discouraged while doing any form of climbing as they compromise your awareness of other climbers around you and are potentially hazardous.
- Every first time boulderer to the Core is required to have a gym orientation and fall assessment prior to climbing.
- Bouldering is allowed anywhere in the gym but your hands must not go above the black lines (approx.. 8-feet), unless the area is permanently protected with the thick padded blue mats. Spotters are strongly encouraged to assist when someone bouldering.
- Boulderers must remove all climbing equipment and hard objects – including harness, belay device and chalk bag – to prevent personal injury, damage to pads, and explosions of chalk dust.
- Belayers may sit on benches while belaying, but not lie down. Sitting on the floor is only permissible during slow times. Please do not block passageways, stairways, and emergency exits with your gear – or yourself.
- Wall Use: Top-Roped climbers share highest climbing priority, followed then by boulderers.
- Monopolizing a route/autobelay is an unpopular practice.
- Avoid climbing routes that interfere with others already on the climbing wall.
- If you have long hair we recommend you tie it back to avoid getting it tangled up in the belay device.
- Talking on your cell phone while in the gym is discouraged but if it is a must, please keep the chatting to a minimum and away from other climbers.
- Only water is allowed on the gym floors in unbreakable containers.
All persons under 14 years of age must:
- Be supervised by an adult, and are not permitted to belay – unless they are a member of the facility’s Junior Program.
- Have their harness checked by a staff member prior to climbing.
- Exceptions to these rules must first be approved by the Manager.
Please do not…
- eat or drink on the raised blue protective flooring,
- use loose chalk. Chalk balls only – available for rent or purchase in our Pro shop,
- climb or walk around in bare feet,
- wear rings on fingers while climbing, or wear jewellery that could create an entanglement hazard.